Friday, August 04, 2006

Using the Kathy Quilts Speed Control Box

If you have a KathyQuilts.com Speed Control box and are wondering how to use it, here are some simple instructions.

The Kathy Quilts speed box just replaces your foot pedal that comes with your machine. Just plug the two cords in (Juki TL-98E or Q only, all other machines only have one cord), and it works! I suggest using some duct tape or similar size tape, and making a loop to temporarily attach to the bottom of the speed box. Try the speed box several locations until you find a position you like. Once you have an idea of where you want to attach your Speed Box, you will attach the hook side, scratchy side, of the Velcro to the bottom of the speed box and the soft side right to the wood of your carriage.

When I quilt in front of the frame, I set the speed box up on top of the carriage where the Gooseneck Lamp usually attaches. I rest my left hand right on that brace next to the speed box, that way I can turn it on or off without having to look away from my quilting to turn it on our off. Once I turn off the Juki, I can push the thread cutter button, move over to a new section and then just start quilting again. There will be a 1/4 thread tail on the bottom and top of the quilt. I will usually clip the top thread, but leave the bottom thread for later after I have taken the quilt off the frame.

You can try the speed box out in a variety of positions. You can also get more double stick Velcro and have several places that you like to position your speed box depending upon what type of quilting you are doing.

No comments: